This is not your average rice pudding dish, friends!!
This treasured recipe for old fashioned baked riced pudding has been passed down through generations in my family. And for good reason, it is insanely delicious!! My mom, aunt, and uncle all have fond memories of my Great-Grandma Anne whipping up her famous old fashioned baked rice pudding for all the special occasions that were celebrated in the family. It’s a very special dish and always a fan-favorite! Please note: you will need to refrigerate it 5-6 hours or overnight before serving, so make sure you get started with the recipe in advance!
This Delicious Family Tradition Lives On
Fast forward to today, and my aunt Judy has taken on the role of keeping this cherished old fashioned baked rice pudding tradition alive when we celebrate anything as a family. And I’m not going to lie, I’ve always been the first in line to grab a piece. I’m obsessed with it’s comforting and nostalgic flavor profile. It’s rich, creamy, and sweet, with a hint of vanilla and the perfect amount of cinnamon. It’s actually really hard to explain but please trust me on this one – it’s simply the best!!
I Cracked the Family Recipe Code For This Yummy Old Fashioned Baked Rice Pudding!
Now, here’s the thing: when I decided to tackle my Great Grandma’s old fashioned baked rice pudding myself, my aunt couldn’t hand me a standard recipe. My Great Grandma never had one and my aunt never bothered to write it down either as she mastered it through years of practice. So, I resorted to countless FaceTime calls with her and fired off a million questions until I nailed it too! And guess what? I am excited to share this simple yet incredibly satisfying recipe with all of you.
A Hilarious Great-Grandma Anne Pudding Mishap
But wait – before I share this epic old fashioned baked rice pudding recipe with you, I need to share a realllly funny family story! So, while my mom and aunt loved this recipe, it was always my uncle’s most favorite dish that my Great Grandma Anne made. On his birthday one year, the story goes that my Great Grandma Anne was making it for my uncle but she found herself without any milk in the house. In her older age, she decided to use CHICKEN SOUP instead, creating a whole new flavor in the dish that nobody liked and left everyone cracking up hahaha!
Let’s Start Baking my Great-Grandma’s Old Fashioned Baked Rice Pudding!
Okay, mamas, let’s don our aprons, roll up our sleeves, and start baking! Let’s go!
My Great Grandma’s Epic Baked Rice Pudding Recipe: A Sweet Treat for All Occasions
- 3 cups uncooked MINUTE brand rice
- 3 cups water
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup salted butter 1/4 cup = 1/2 stick of butter
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp 2% milk
- Sprinkle Cinnamon or cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Boil water, then take it off the stove-top fire
- Pour in the rice, stir, cover it and let it sit for 10 min
- While waiting, mix together eggs, sugar, and vanilla in a giant bowl.
- Add in the cooked, hot, rice, plus the butter (it will melt from the heat of the mixture) then stir everything together well, making sure the butter is fully melted and mixed in.
- Add in the milk, and stir well. The mixture should look soupy at this point.
- Pour the mixture into a butter-coated or pam-sprayed 9 x 11 pyrex baking pan.
- Heavily sprinkle the cinnamon (or cinnamon sugar) over the mixture in the pan. It should be completely covered! Note: the original recipe called for straight cinnamon but when I made it the first time, I didn't have any on hand so we used cinnamon sugar and it was amazing too! If you like really sweet, go the cinnamon sugar route.
- Put it in the oven for 40-50 min in your preheated 350 degrees F oven. Check for browning around the edges and also stick a toothpick in the pudding for doneness.
- Let it cool by allowing it to sit out for at least an hour before putting it in the refrigerator for 5-6 hours or overnight, with a lid on your Pyrex dish (foil works too!).
- Take out the rice pudding dish from the refrigerator when it's fully cold and cut it into squares.
- Put them onto a platter and serve cold!
Ready to bake another one of my epic family recipes?!
Make my chocolate chip banana bread the next time you’re craving banana bread because it’s the G.O.A.T. – not kidding! It’s super moist (sorry if you have an aversion to that word, but it’s true), incredibly easy to whip up, and the very best!
DO YOU FOLLOW ME ON INSTA YET?
If not, what are you waiting for?? We have fun over there, and I would love to have you join our little mama community!! All it takes is 2 seconds! So, click here and hit that follow button now!
GRAB THESE FREEBIES:
100+ Easy School Lunch Box Ideas to Help You Create Healthy Lunches for Your Kids All Year in Under 5 Minutes a Day.
Dinner Table Gratitude Game.
12 Holy Grail Products That Will Make Your Life As a Mom So Much Easier.
My Mom Life Presets, which all photos in this post were edited with, are perfect for busy moms who have zero experience with technology. You can buy them here and start editing your photos like a pro in no time.